Section 2: Discussion Questions
- What makes both of these studies experimental?
- What type of information might the investigator collect in these two studies to see if the treatment (e.g. new teaching method or herbal supplement) is effective?
- Can the researcher establish cause and effect in either or both of these two studies?
- What would happen if the researcher allowed the students to study together or talk about the different methods that were being used to teach the math lesson? Would this be a good or a bad idea? How would this influence the study results?
- What if the fitness instructor allowed participants to take other herbal supplements in addition to the supplements being tested? Would this be a good or a bad idea? How would this influence the study results?