Office of the Director
The Director of the Office of Research Integrity (ORI):
- reports to the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
- oversees and directs Public Health Service (PHS) research integrity activities on behalf of the Secretary with the exception of the regulatory research integrity activities of the Food and Drug Administration;
- recommends to the Assistant Secretary for Health for decision, findings of research misconduct and administrative actions in connection with research conducted or supported by the PHS;
- coordinates the development of research integrity policies designed to ensure that subjects of investigations and whistleblowers are treated fairly, including clear specification of what constitutes misconduct, a fair hearing process, appropriate time limits on pursuing allegations, and specific whistleblower protections;
- manages the financial resources and provide overall administrative guidance in carrying out the activities; and
- oversees and directs the research misconduct and integrity activities of the office, including the oversight of research misconduct inquiries and investigations, education and training in the responsible conduct of research, activities designed to promote research integrity and prevent misconduct, and research and evaluation programs.
Source: Statement of Organization, Functions, and Delegations of Authority, Federal Register: May 12, 2000 (Volume 65, Number 93, Pages 30600-30601).